Funding is available to non-profit organisations for community, biodiversity or heritage projects that benefit local communities in areas within 10 miles of an active Viridor landfill site in England and Wales.
Maximum value: £100,000
Objectives of Fund
Large grants are available for projects which meet one of the following themes:
- Object D– The protection of the environment; the provision, maintenance or improvement of public amenities and parks, which are open and accessible to the public.
- Object Da– The protection of the environment; the enhancement, protection and/or promotion of biological diversity of a species or habitat.
- Object E– The protection of the environment; the maintenance, repair or restoration of a building or structure that is of historic or architectural interest, and is open and accessible to the public.
Grants of between £50,000 and £100,000 are available.
Match Funding Restrictions
Applicants must secure 10% of the gross value of the award from an independent Contributing Third Party.
Who Can Apply
Applicants must be a properly constituted, non-profit organisation.
The project must be site-specific and located within 10 miles of an active Viridor landfill site or an Energy Recovery Facility in England and Wales. Location can be checked on the postcode checker.
Funding is not available for the following:
- Aspects of a project that have already started.
- Contingencies, fees and preliminaries.
- Works to public highways.
- Anything that may be the statutory responsibility of the local authority.
- Projects located on/in:
- School grounds.
- Facilities owned and managed by a local authority (except parks and play areas).
- Facilities primarily used for service provision or not considered a general public amenity, such as hospitals, day centres, hospices or accommodation.
- Proportional projects.
- Salaried posts or revenue funding.
- Core costs of an organisation including rent, energy bills, and supplies.
- Community Cafés.
- Purchase or lease of vehicles.
- Purchase of land or buildings that are not at risk of closure or loss to the community.
- Multimedia or CCTV equipment, events, CDs, website or marketing materials.
- Energy saving or green technology projects that generate an income, such as Feed in Tariff or Renewable Heat Incentive.
Funding is for capital works only, and projects must fulfil one of the following Objects:
- Object D – The protection of the environment, the provision, maintenance or improvement of public amenities and parks which are open and accessible to the public. General public amenities include: museums; village halls and greens; church yards; public playgrounds; sports fields and facilities; nature reserves; bridleways and public parks.
- Object DA – The protection of the environment, the enhancement, protection and/or promotion of biological diversity of a species or habitat.
- Object E – The protection of the environment, the maintenance, repair or restoration of a building that is of historic or architectural interest, and is open and accessible to the public.
Projects must demonstrate:
- That there is a local need and local support for the project; promotion of community participation (volunteering) and partnership approaches.
- Environmental sustainability by using environmentally-friendly materials and solutions wherever possible.
- Value for money. Projects must maximise the benefit of LCF funding.
- That they are self-sustaining and have long-term management plans.
- That there are no restrictions on access or use and, in the case of community facilities, be available to the public at all times for at least 104 days per year.
How To Apply
The quarterly deadlines are available online for each eligible area.
Applicants must complete the Application Form, enclosing relevant documentation as per the Guidance Notes.
It is recommended that applicants contact a member of the Admin Team before starting their application.
Contact Details : Sophie Norman, Viridor Credits Environmental Company, First Floor, Aintree House, Blackbrook Park Avenue, Taunton, Somerset. TA1 2PX
Tel: 01823 476476