The 2020 (LEIT) Space Calls are open to applications.
The Industrial Leadership – Space channel of the EU’s Horizon 2020 programme aims to foster a cost-effective competitive and innovative space industry (including SMEs) and research community to develop and exploit space infrastructure to meet future Union policy and societal needs.
The 2020 Calls under the “Space” stream of the Leadership in Enabling and Industrial Technologies (LEIT) programme of Horizon 2020 are now open. Individual Call Topics fall under two main Call headings as follows:
The Topics released under the Space heading each fall under one of the following three areas: earth observation; space business, entrepreneurship, outreach and education; and space technologies, science and exploration.
The following topics are open under this Call:
Research and Innovation Actions:
- DT-SPACE-25-EO-2020: Big Data Technologies and Artificial Intelligence for Copernicus. Budget: €10 million.
- LC-SPACE-18-EO-2020: Copernicus evolution: Research activities in support of the evolution of the Copernicus services. Budget: €10 million.
- SPACE-27-TEC-2020: Space robotics technologies. Budget: €3 million.
- SPACE-29-TEC-2020. Satellite communication technologies. Budget: €9 million.
- SPACE-30-SCI-2020: Scientific data exploitation. Budget: €9 million.
- SPACE-28-TEC-2020: SRC – In-space electrical propulsion and station keeping – Incremental technologies. Budget: €24 million.
Coordination and Support Actions:
- DT-SPACE-26-BIZ-2020: Space hubs (support to start-ups). Budget: €2 million.
- LC-SPACE-19-EO-2020: Copernicus evolution: new concept for an innovative and holistic solution for Sentinels calibration & validation. Budget: €3 million.
- LC-SPACE-24-EO-2020: Copernicus evolution: Mission exploitation concept for WATER. Budget: €3 million.
- SU-SPACE-21-SEC-2020: Space traffic management. Budget: €1.5 million.
- SU-SPACE-31-SEC-2019: Research and innovation network of governmental users of secure satellite communications. Budget: €3 million.
European Global Navigation Satellite System (EGNSS) Market Uptake 2019-2020
The European Global Navigation Satellite System (EGNSS) encompasses the satellite navigation system established under the Galileo programme and the European Geostationary Overlay System (EGNOS). Overall, these two activities will help to maximise the uptake of Galileo and EGNOS and to exploit the potential of the European GNSS industry, and contribute to growth, competitiveness and jobs in this sector, while capturing public benefits.
The following topic is open under this Call:
- DT-SPACE-EGNSS-2-2020: EGNSS Applications Fostering Digitisation. Budget: €4 million.
- LC-SPACE-EGNSS-1-2020: EGNSS Applications Fostering Green, Safe and Smart Mobility. Budget: €10 million.
- SU-SPACE-EGNSS-3-2020: EGNSS Applications Fostering Societal Resilience and Protecting the Environment. Budget €4 million.
PCP Pre-Commercial Procurement Actions:
- SPACE-EGNSS-5-2020: EGNSS Applications for Public Authorities’ Pilot. Budget: €3 million.
Applications can be made by selecting the relevant Call Topic on the Commission’s Participant Portal website.
The deadline for applications for all Call Topics is 5 March 2020.