Grants are available for not-for-profit organisations to improve the quality of life and foster vibrancy in communities located within the vicinity of a Biffa operation.
Maximum value: £75,000
Objectives of Fund
Biffa Award aim to provide or improve biodiversity, community spaces, cultural facilities, and places for outdoor recreation.
The Community Buildings theme aims to provide and improve community buildings such as village halls, community centres and church halls to act as mechanisms for community involvement.
Grants of between £10,000 and £75,000 are available.
Match Funding Restrictions
Third party funders are required to provide 10% of the grant applied for.
Who Can Apply
Applications will be accepted from not-for-profit organisations in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Applicants must be:
- Located within five miles of a significant Biffa Group Limited operation or 10 miles of an active Biffa Landfill site.
- Within 10 miles of a landfill site (not necessarily owned by Biffa Group Limited) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Applicants should check their project location’s eligibility using Biffa Awards Postcode Checker.
Grants are not available for:
- Individuals, profit-making or local government organisations (including Community Councils and organisations that are not able to register as an Environmental Body with the regulator ENTRUST.
- Projects on sites that are owned and or maintained by borough, county, city, district, or town councils, unless a formal lease, with a minimum term of no less than 10 years, is in place.
- Projects where no formal lease, with less than 10 years remaining, is in place.
- Projects more than five miles from a significant Biffa Group Limited operation.
- Projects more than 10 miles from an active Biffa Group Limited landfill site.
- Projects more than 10 miles from a licensed landfill site (owned by any company).
- Core costs of an organisation, office equipment and furniture or elements that directly benefit staff.
- Projects with a total cost of more than £200,000 including VAT.
- Improvements to car parks, offices or services.
- Alterations to buildings in order to meet Disability Discrimination Act requirements.
- Items of personal kit or equipment, eg sports shirts, cricket gloves.
- Portable items that will not be permanently kept at the address listed as the project location.
- Projects in school buildings or on school grounds, on the premises of hospitals, hospices, medical centres, day-care centres, charity offices, or for allotments.
- Projects which are purely for fencing.
- Events, excursions, CDs and websites, publications and marketing materials.
- Purely church fabric repairs, eg to bell towers, church spires, etc.
- Storage containers.
- Feasibility studies, tender costs, building consents or recruitment costs.
- Enhancement of town or village centres, eg signage, seating, dog waste bins and seasonal bulbs.
- Energy saving or green technology based projects which have a derived income, eg solar panels.
- Retrospective funding – work that has already taken place before any grant has been awarded.
Community Buildings grants are available to provide and improve community buildings such as village halls, community centres and church halls to act as mechanisms for community involvement. Priority will be given to projects that enhance, maintain or introduce real community led social, economic or environmental improvements. Projects which fall within this description will be registered under the ENTRUST category D.
Applications will also be accepted for projects which aim to repair or maintain churches as long as the applicant is able to demonstrate that the work will have a wider community benefit.
To be eligible for funding projects must:
- Be located within five miles of a significant Biffa Group Limited operation or 10 miles of an active Biffa Landfill site.
- Be within 10 miles of a landfill site (not necessarily owned by Biffa Group Limited) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Have a total cost which does not exceed £200,000 including VAT.
Applicants can check their project location’s eligibility using Biffa Awards Postcode Checker.
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted at any time. There is no deadline.
An expression of interest form is available to complete online at the Biffa Award website.
Community Buildings applications will be considered at the Trustees meetings in June and October 2017.
To apply go to the Biffa Awards website